jenniferwaggonerhartling

jenniferwaggonerhartling

In the Garden of Stone

In the Garden of Stone - Susan Tekulve The Setting~ West Virginia came alive through the descriptions in this novel. The descriptions of the landscape made me feel as if I were really there.The times featured were interesting as well. When we imagine the past we think of a simpler time. Things may have been simpler but they were also harder than we can imagine.The Pace~ This tale unwound in a deliciously slow way. The Characters~ The people in this book were flawed, which is just another word for realistic. I miss spending time with them. Can we expect a sequel? I'm crossing my fingers.The Format~ You could argue that this is a book of short stories. I enjoyed learning new details about certain events when the story was told from a different characters perspective. This method really worked to drive the story forward in a unique way.The Mood~ The description above nailed it: bleak, harrowing, and haunting. The language is beautifully poetic.In the Garden of Stone is a book I can easily recommend.