jenniferwaggonerhartling

jenniferwaggonerhartling

Capital of the World: The Race to Host the United Nations

Capital of the World: The Race to Host the United Nations - Charlene Mires I knew the ending of Capital of the World. We all do. The United Nations is headquartered in New York. What I didn't know was how it ended up there. I definitely didn't know how many cities were begging for the UN to set up camp in their backyard. Some of these towns went to great lengths to lure the United Nations to their neck of the woods. Ridiculous lengths really. Perhaps I only think they were ridiculous because I know where the UN ended up? Still, some of their shenanigans made me giggle.There were serious matters to consider. The United Nations was to be a venture that promoted peace and equality. It wouldn't do to put the headquarters in places where equality was regularly tested. (In 1945? A LOT of places had troubles with that particular issue.) The UN had to be fairly accessible to people from around the world. Even though San Francisco successfully hosted the charter conference of the UN, the powers that be decided that any city on the West Coast was out. This book is well researched and full of interesting historical tidbits. Entertaining and spirited, Capital of the World hits the right notes.