jenniferwaggonerhartling

jenniferwaggonerhartling

Hell-Bent: Obsession, Pain, and the Search for Something Like Transcendence in Competitive Yoga - Benjamin Lorr I knew nearly nothing about yoga before reading this book. While I was reading I swayed between thinking "Oh my word I NEED to try this!" to "Not in a million years!"This was a fascinating look at the world of yoga, and of Bikram Yoga in particular. Benjamin Lorr takes us on a memoir-esque exploration into the intense realm of competitive yoga.I was at turns enthralled and repelled. Bikram Choudhury, the driving force behind his own brand of yoga, is a very interesting man. Genius? Guru? Spoiled man-child? He came to America with his incredible skills and changed the face of the practice of yoga.The things that these people can do to and with their bodies is amazing. I found my mouth hanging open while reading about the poses, the heat, the extreme measures. It becomes a way of life for some practitioners and you can understand why.Hell-Bent is an interesting book that I would recommend to anyone who wants to learn more about an all-consuming sport.