jenniferwaggonerhartling

jenniferwaggonerhartling

Fever

Fever - Mary Beth Keane Fever is the fictionalized account of the life of "Typhoid Mary", and what a fantastic account it is. I knew of Mary Mallon. I'd heard of "Typhoid Mary". As it turns out, all I knew of her story was her awful nickname. I had no understanding of her life or what happened to her.Mary was arrested, treated like garbage, and made to live in isolation on a quarantine island. She really didn't understand what they were saying about her. She'd never been sick a day in her life. How could she be spreading a disease? There was little understanding about the spread of disease in the early 1900's compared with what we know today. The things the doctors and health officials were saying sounded like some sort of magic to Mary Mallon. I can understood why she went back to cooking after being forbidden to do so. "Typhoid Mary" has been painted by history as an evil woman. This book made me realize that there was much more to her story.Fever is a sensational book about an intriguing woman. I couldn't stop reading it and I can't recommend it highly enough.