jenniferwaggonerhartling

jenniferwaggonerhartling

The Rest of Us

The Rest of Us: A Novel - Jessica Lott Originally published on my blog at therelentlessreader.blogspot.comThe Rest of Us is described as a novel about second chances. While that is certainly true, I found that it's even more about relationships. The people in our lives have an impact on us that we can hardly begin to imagine.Terry and Rhinehart almost need each other to create their art. Between their early affair and their second chance relationship they both seem to be stagnant. Artistically yes, but in even larger ways. When they being seeing each other for the second time they both begin to flourish.At first I didn't sense a great passion between these two characters. The further I read the more the closeness and love became apparent. There is a push and a pull between them that reads as very convincing. Their relationship is complicated. The best kinds usually are.My favorite relationship in The Rest of Us is between Terry and her best friend Hallie. Their history is rich, complex, and believable.Poetry and photography take central stage in this book. I'm not an aficionado of either of those art forms but this book made them accessible.Beautifully written with raw sensibility, The Rest of Us has a rhythm all its own.